Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011's Top Ten

What a year it's been.

But since I say anyway every year how this year was so different and extraordinary compared to every other year bla bla bla, I'll just get right to my top 10 for 2011 -- and let the list speak for itself.

10. Mumbai. My work brought me to this city, in all its maddening, overpowering, and overwhelming glory. But unlike other places I've been that merited such adjectives (and wanted to leave just hours after I got off the plane), Mumbai left me fascinated at its foreign-ness; awestruck that the city actually worked, in spite of the chaos; and hungry to experience more of India. I look forward to my next visit -- and next time, I hope I'll have the guts to actually ride the train.

9. Writing. Few people know I was writing long before I was playing the piano -- writing, in fact, was my "special talent" in grade school. I'm glad I was able to go back to it this year -- not as regularly as I'd like ("ang haba mo naman kasi mag-blog", as James once told me), but at least, sufficiently recording what probably will be, when I look back a few years hence, one of the most important years of my life. And who'd ever have thought my editor parents would actually become fans of my writing? -- occasional comments such as "Paulo, there's a dangling modifier in the second paragraph" notwithstanding.

8. "My pretties." Give me a break and let me have a rare moment as a gym bimbo. After all, for the first time in my 10+ years of working out (who'd have guessed, right!?) I finally have deltoids. And biceps. And traps. And you get the idea. Sure, the six-pack and the Davids are still a long way off... but for someone who's never been able to shake off "chubby", this is a big deal.

7. Boston and New York. I already wrote pages and pages about my adventures in these two cities (and my first winter!) last February -- old and new places, old and new friends, and all in all a glimpse of the year(s?) to come.

6. Work. I've said it so many times, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying it: no job I've had has been as fun and fulfilling as the one I have now: leading P&G Philippines' army of In-Store Ambassadors. With its unique combination of marketing and human resources, the role finally answered my long-time question, "Why the hell did I spend so much time in HR before discovering marketing was the path for me?" And I don't think anything can ever compare to the creativity, the detail, and the autonomy of the role -- and in 2011, the program's business impact; the opportunity for organization-building; the many recognitions for the program, the team, and the agencies involved; and most of all, the unbelievably talented and hardworking people whom I'm so fortunate to work with, and the many ways the program has helped individuals thrive and grow. Add to all that, having colleagues who are also some of the best friends you'll ever find, cheering you on through successes and support you when things don't go your way, both in the workplace and in life -- and you've got a job that's one in a million, and one that definitely made the "to Berklee or not to Berklee" question much more difficult than it should have been.

5. Family time. Like with writing, not as regular as I'd like -- but still, a huge improvement over past years (Inay and Tatay have gotten accustomed to unanswered texts and calls), with a family trip to Baguio, a whole-family movie date (celebrating the role of Tintin in our childhoods), visits to Pinto Art Museum in Antipolo, and another New Year in Boracay (minus Tatay, unfortunately, who at the last minute had to volunteer to be taong-bahay). And inbetween, much less high-effort but much more meaningful were my parents' overwhelming patience and support throughout my to-Berklee-or-not-to-Berklee episode; and in the end, me actually getting along with -- okay, fine, liking -- the kids.

4. This Time With You. I have never been prouder of Hangad, than during the production and launch of the group's eighth album. First, the content was 100% Hangad-created, except for one track (which was an existing arrangement), unlike past albums for which we always had to ask for material from other musician friends. Second, so many Hangad members were eager to pitch in -- beyond the "given" of being vocalists -- as writers, artists, photographers, composers, arrangers, coordinators, or whatever else. And third, the output was, in my opinion, Hangad's most personal and powerful ever -- in Louis' words, "the kind of music Hangad was born to make." Hopefully, our four launch concerts -- two in Manila and two in Singapore -- are only the start. I would love for this music to reach more and more people in the coming years.

3. Ken. Just over a year and eight months after my last relationship ended, I entered into a new one -- with my best friend of four and a half years. Soon after one especially crappy set of dates, I reminded myself that I had told myself some time ago: "I have to be with someone I can be a fan of, and not just some random nobody." And sure enough, there was Kenneth, always ready to perk up my day since my breakup with James, with his extraordinary talent in music (from Chopin to Schwartz), in the kitchen (already great, and getting even better with his studies), and at making me laugh (from amazing wit to impromptu tap dancing). I initially told myself, he's too young, and he needs to date other guys first; until I realized, he'll have a lot of growing up to do during his six months in Paris, and besides, why let someone else grab this prize catch. And so, over the past few months, we have adjusted to each other and met halfway: my typically emotionally needy self ("the girl", my friends call me) has transformed surprisingly easily into a low-maintenance partner; while his stoicism has been giving way to pleasantly surprising bursts of sweetness ("Have you eaten? I made char kway teow, I'll bring some to practice for you"). In hindsight, I was lucky that nothing ever worked out with any of the guys I dated and tried to convince myself were "the one." Icky romance novel-ish as it may sound, the one I was waiting for was there all along.

2. Music. "In Your Own Way", "Wonderfully Made", "Let Me Be Your Stillness", "Through This Song", This Time With You", in my mind some of my most powerful songs yet; "Di Matinag Na Pag-Ibig", one of my most adventurous (yet effective!) vocal arrangements; "All That I Have", my first collaboration as lyricist (with no less than #3, above, heehee); "Tungo Sa 'Yo", my first string arrangement. And even as I thought my creative energies were all spent on This Time With You, along came "On This Day" for Teej and Teen's wedding, and a new "Traditional Christmas Medley" for Hangad, finally replacing the well-worn First Call Medley the group had been singing for almost 20 years. Add to all this a new level in piano playing; I don't know if anyone noticed apart from me, but as an accompanist, my countermelodies and embellishments have become more melodic and expressive, and my rhythms and arpeggios have become more daring -- maybe because of all the practice and preparation that went into my "Cinema Paradiso Suite" for the Berklee audition. And lastly, who would ever thought I would have the gall to put my own videos as vocalist online? I said it some months back -- it's when you stop second-guessing yourself, and embrace yourself as musician, that you truly let yourself shine.

1. Berklee. Was there ever any doubt what #1 on my list would be? I talked about Berklee so often this year -- in my blog, on Facebook, on Plurk, with my friends, at Hangad prayer sessions and retreats -- that everyone's probably so sick of hearing about it already. But what do you expect, with a dream of seven or so years coming true, only to reexamine and revalidate itself before finally convincing me to take the leap of faith? From application to audition to acceptance to discernment -- and everything inbetween -- it's been an amazing, amazing ride.

As awesome as this year was, I can't help but remind myself that it's a mere transition to an even more awesome 2012: Wicked in Singapore with Kenneth; a return to Bikram Yoga (still fighting against "chubby"); moving back in with Inay and Tatay, and taking them to Angkor Wat; final touches to my work in P&G and Hangad before I pass them on to my successors; cramming as much Hanon, songwriting, and music theory self-study as I can before May; and finally, the big move to Boston (just as Ken flies off for his culinary internship as well) -- and all the new music, friends, experiences, and writing it promises to bring.

Thank you, 2011, and everyone who was part of it; and best wishes to all in 2012! :D

1 comment:

  1. Agree with "This Time With You". It's been almost three (or four?) months since it launched and we (my wife and I) still couldn't take it off our playlists. Hands down, it's the best Hangad album to date ;)

    Go easy with the Hanon exercises (especially the notorious Book 1 exercises)!!! Overdoing it *will* give you carpal tunnel syndrome. Doing scales, arpeggios and octaves should suffice :)

    ReplyDelete